Date: 9/21/17 3:36 pm
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (21 Sep 2017) 54 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 54 1562 1571

Observation start time: 08:30:00
Observation end time: 18:00:00
Total observation time: 9.5 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Carol Majors, Carol Spease, Kathleen Pileggi

Visitors:
CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (7): Carol Majors, Ron Majors, Kathleen Pileggi, Carol Spease,
Debby Kern, Julie Knobil.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
Mostly Sunny (25% cloud cover), Ceiling - 30,000 ft., Visibility - 10
miles, Temps 67 - 84F, Winds North @ 5 - 10 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 2-Cooper's Hawk,
3-Red-shouldered Hawk, 4-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (70) and
Turkey Vultures (60).

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ ---“Sweatin’ To the Oldies??”---

I met Carol & Ron at 7:30am to do the bird survey and check on warbler
meadow. Kathleen joined us and for a time we were among the warblers – a
Cape May Warbler was close at hand, Redstarts, Black-and-white, Northern
Parulas, Magnolias, Black-throated Greens, and Palms. The Cape May Warbler
afforded particularly fine looks and was a beautiful bird. A Ruby-crowned
Kinglet was our season’s first.

By 9am the warbler action had died back considerably, and it was time to
make our way to The Watch, anyway. The conditions developed perfectly with
northerly winds and a fair amount of background clouds. The hawks were
slow, but steady coming through…far less than I was expecting on this day.

Pick a discussion topic. Go ahead – any topic. What? Sweat Bees?? OK,
since you insist, Sweat Bees it is. What’s the deal with Sweat Bees,
anyway? As bees go, I guess they’re fairly innocuous. They just must be
waiting around here to catch me sweating on a very warm day? There are
many around here this year. Why? How do you repel them - with
antiperspirant?? Then I could literally BAN them from the site, right
(guard)? A SECRET, ladies? I’m told Sweat Bees can sting. Do “they” tell
me that just to watch me sweat? Are they THAT clever? They can’t bee
(sorry) or else they’d discover sustenance other than sweat, right? I mean
…ewww, it’s SWEAT!! My sweat has nutritional value? If so, what am I
doing just sweating it away, then? Why do these bees seem so nice
anyway…gently humming to you as they splash down softly on your musty
flesh, softly trudging along your sweaty body film, slurping gobs of
perspiration through a proboscis that appears to me, to be a straw, all the
while pumping their abdomens as if in some strange gothic rhythm? Exactly
what’s that about? They got some grunge music playing in their heads from
some sweaty Seattle based band? What – are they “sweatin to the oldies,”
or something?? Come to think of it, I could have sworn one was humming
some Nirvana as he passed on alighting on my arm. Perhaps, I “Smelled Like
Teen Spirit,” rather than sweat? And just where do these Sweat Bees fit
into the whole “Birds & the Bees” thing?? They certainly aren’t
pollenating my sweaty arms…not without a shower, they’re not! I’m just
saying. I’m glad you brought this up. I’ve been kinda sweating these bees
out around here… Next time, I’ll suggest a topic, though. Not certain I
can trust you to pick an appropriate one…I mean, Sweat Bees?? What were
you thinking???

Seriously, I have never noticed these things as much as I have this year.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
1-Ruby-crowned Kinglet, 6-Northern Parula, 4-Magnolia Warbler, 1-Cape May
Warbler, 3-Black-throated Green Warbler, 2-Palm Warbler, 1-Black-and-white
Warbler, 5-American Redstart, 1-Blue Grosbeak, 15-Bobolink.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (13): Monarch - 45, Cabbage White,
Crescent, Orange Sulphur, Common Checkered Skipper, Buckeye, Variegated
Fritillary, Wild Indigo Duskywing, Sachem, Red Admiral. Dragonflies (3):
Green Darner, Black Saddlebags, Halloween Pennant. Reptiles & Amphibians
(0): Mammals (1): Eastern Cottontail.
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 7.48; Steps: 17,555; Floors:
48.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 55; this season: 109
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (1):”
Ruby-crowned Kinglet.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks just about the same as today's great, but largely
unrealized conditions.
<BR><BR>
Rain or shine.

Site Description: