Date: 9/21/17 2:26 pm
From: Josiah Clark <josiah.clark621...> [SFBirds] <SFBirds-noreply...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Nw winds and movement
With the nw winds blowing so hard I checked the ocean for a bit this am wondering if anything had blown in. Most interesting were Parasitic Jaegers out perhaps 20 sightings, at least 10 birds, at times triple teaming elegant terns with their piracy tactics in the the channel and near mile rock. Two groups of greater scaup, about 50 total flew over high into the gate while I was there. A couple stragglers skimming over the water as well.
Definitely songbird migrants Bt grey, tanagers, western flycatchers, house Wrens, Rb nuthatch, a swainson's thrush out too in the wind but nothing rare. While with Mike Carozza at the east wash, he spotted a very striking bird that we both saw briefly and was probably a very young, pale cedar waxwing. I've never seen one like this in sf. There is a highly unseasonal (as it's still technically summer) Winter storm warning in affect in the sierras, and that weather could have brought it to the coast earlier than usual.(?)
Tuesday I birded little but in the morning a kestrel and Rb nuthatch were calling over lake st. That evening walking radar dog by presidio hills I was struck by the infusion of winter birds in areas I often check. Big flock of white-crowneds had a fox, Lincoln's and yellow Rump's in tow. A says Phoebe and Rb nuthatch were not far away. The nw winds and clear days can bring Hawks and large numbers of western migrants but fewer vagrants. Sometimes called "the big eraser" winds like these clear out many of the previous migrants/vagrants that have been hanging around.
The first big NW blow of the seasons represents a major progression in the southbound songbird migration. The fourth quarter of fall migration is not far now I'd say.
Keep after it and Good luck out there!

Sent from my iPhone

http://www.yahoogroups.com/

<*> Your email settings: