Date: 9/21/17 12:18 pm
From: John Deacon <iseekbirds...> [sbcobirding] <sbcobirding-noreply...>
Subject: [sbcobirding] Owls and Goatsuckers at Colson Canyon

Beckie Hellwig and I headed up to Colson Canyon this morning about 0430 to look for owls and goatsuckers. We were not disappointed. At every location where there is currently still water, we heard multiple Western Screech Owls. We estimate that, from the first location all the way to the Forest Service Gate, we heard no less, probably more, than 8 Western Screech Owls. We also heard at least 6 Great Horned Owls. We also observed 2 Caprimulgiformes. I suspect that they were Common Poorwills based on the lack of white patches on the wings. Both birds were flushed while driving on the upper portion of Colson Canyon Road near the campground. We didn't get good looks at these birds so I'm a little reluctant to formally identify.

If anyone who is more conversant in "owl" and would like to head up there, I would be interested in going along (I can drive). We heard so many different hoots, toots, howls, screams and clicks, that there may have been other owl species that we missed.

John Deacon
<iseekbirds...>

Join us on Facebook!