Date: 9/21/17 5:51 am
Subject: Thrush flight calls
Since several folks inquired, here are the last couple counts. I didnt'
have my snow disc/parabolic dish this time but still heard a ton of calls.
I have tried full moon birding and yesterday tried to look straight up with
bins in hope to see waves of birds, but I only saw bats. Hard to get the
focus correct on whatever column of air these thrushes are using. Heading
to hanging rock for some hawk counts, will try to get a few nights in up
there. I need to start earlier as the data below show a clear pre dawn
peak, which does exist but not that drastic I believe.

Sep 18 Falls Lake Sandling Beach, mostly mixed pine forest along lake shore

545-6
1 wood
1 swainsons

6-615
20 wood
5 swainsons
2 veery
1 gray cheeked
1 warbler sp

615-630
25 wood
20 swainsons
8 veery
2 gray cheeked
1 scarlet tanager giving picky-tuck and then full song, in flight and in
the dark!

630-645
1 wood
2 swainsons

Sep 20 Kerr Lake, mixed forest along lake

6-615
3 wood thrush
1 swainsons thrush

615-630