Date: 9/21/17 1:42 am
From: Kate StJohn <0000000f59b962a9-dmarc-request...>
Subject: 200+ Chimney swifts, Pittsburgh, Allegheny
Last evening as I left a community meeting, I noticed a flock of chimney swifts swirling around St. John Chrysostum Byzantine Catholic Church in The Run (lower Greenfield).  This is the "onion dome" church in the valley that you see from the Parkway East as you head eastbound (uphill) to the Squirrel Hill Tunnel.
The chimney swifts were diving into the chimney at the back of the church, a feature I'd never noticed because the front of the church is so tall.

Eventually I realized I should count the birds.  Even having missed the beginning of the flock, I counted 211 diving into the chimney.

Kate St. John
birdsoutsidemywindow.org

Join us on Facebook!