Date: 9/20/17 7:05 pm
From: Jim Berry <jim.berry3...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Fwd: eBird Report - Halibut Point SP, Rockport, Sep 20, 2017
Halibut Point SP, Rockport

Sep 20, 2017 11:40 AM - 2:20 PM
Protocol: Traveling
1.4 mile(s)
Comments: I went to HP today to continue reveling in the wind, rain, and fog. Wind was N today, however, not the best for seabird migration. Nevertheless I saw some cool birds, the most outstanding of which was a WHIMBREL, just my 2nd sighting for this site (3 birds, 8/28/12). The waves were 5' or more. The fog was in and out, but I always had at least 200 yards of visibility; much of the time it was a mile or more.
22 species (+2 other taxa)

Common Eider (Somateria mollissima) 16 flock of 11 that flew by, plus 5 females in the water the whole time
Surf Scoter (Melanitta perspicillata) 1
White-winged Scoter (Melanitta fusca) 3
Common Loon (Gavia immer) 12
Cory's Shearwater (Calonectris diomedea) 1
Cory's/Great Shearwater (Calonectris diomedea/Ardenna gravis) 4 All shearwaters were large with white below; only the one Cory's was close enough to ID to species.
Northern Gannet (Morus bassanus) 227 All ages. I saw one dive in two hours at the rocks. They flew by left to right in singles or small groups and were thus easy to count one by one.
Great Cormorant (Phalacrocorax carbo) 1
Double-crested Cormorant (Phalacrocorax auritus) 6
cormorant sp. (Phalacrocoracidae sp.) 1
Osprey (Pandion haliaetus) 1
Whimbrel (Numenius phaeopus) 1 Came from the rocks behind me and flew right in front of me.
Ruddy Turnstone (Arenaria interpres) 3 I was able to age only one of them, a juv.
Ring-billed Gull (Larus delawarensis) 4
Herring Gull (Larus argentatus) 9
Great Black-backed Gull (Larus marinus) 11
Red-eyed Vireo (Vireo olivaceus) 1
Blue Jay (Cyanocitta cristata) 5
American Crow (Corvus brachyrhynchos) 4
Tree Swallow (Tachycineta bicolor) 4
Black-capped Chickadee (Poecile atricapillus) 4
White-throated Sparrow (Zonotrichia albicollis) 1
Eastern Towhee (Pipilo erythrophthalmus) 1
American Goldfinch (Spinus tristis) 1

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S39302908

http://www.avg.com

Join us on Facebook!