Date: 9/20/17 4:20 pm
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (20 Sep 2017) 45 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 45 1508 1517

Observation start time: 10:00:00
Observation end time: 17:00:00
Total observation time: 7 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Evelyn Fowles, Hank Davis, Howard Campbell, Mike Fowles

Visitors:
CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (7): Howard Campbell, Evelyn & Mike Fowles, Dale Kendall, Hank
Davis, Walter Borys.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
Mostly Sunny (50-25% cloud cover), Ceiling - 30,000 ft., Visibility - 10
miles, Temps 70 - 82F, Winds NNW @ 10 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 2-Cooper's Hawk,
3-Red-shouldered Hawk, 4-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (65) and
Turkey Vultures (75).
<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-0; 2 yr.-0; 3 yr.-0; 4 yr.-0; adult-2
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ ---“I’m Partly Cloudy…Fair Warning”---

On the drive to Bucktoe this morning, I got to thinking about my weather
forecasts and descriptions and started wondering, as I’m sure many of you
do about everything I say or write - what I’m talking about. What does it
all really mean?? What’s “partly cloudy” and isn’t that the same as
“partly sunny?” They’re both parts… And does partly cloudy mean that it’s
really mostly sunny? If so, why not say it? Does one’s verbiage just
depend on whether they feel optimistic or pessimistic? Is the glass half
full? No it’s half empty… Who’s on first??

So, I looked it up. Turns out, it’s a distinction without a difference for
some things like partly cloudy and partly sunny. They are interchangeable,
meaning the same thing in the eyes of the National Weather Service -
although for obvious reasons, partly sunny can only be used in the daytime
hours when the SUN IS OUT.

The NWS definition states that when between 3/8 and 5/8 of the sky is
covered by clouds that’s classified as partly cloudy or partly sunny. Just
for fun and added clarity…sometimes, a "mix of sun and clouds" is used by
some forecasters instead of "partly sunny" during the daytime hours, though
apparently, it is not an official NWS term.

As you may have guessed by now, mostly cloudy means the sky contains more
clouds than sun (at night - stars). In the NWS’s view, when 3/4 to 7/8 of
the sky is covered by clouds – it’s mostly cloudy. If you tire of that,
you may interchange "considerable cloudiness," without penalty.

On the other hand, mostly sunny means there is more sun than clouds. When
1/8 to 1/4 of the sky is covered by clouds, it's classified as mostly
sunny, or mostly clear at night, according to the NWS.

Sunny or clear means there are no clouds in the sky, and clearly, cloudy
means the entire sky is covered by clouds.

One of the most misused weather terms is "fair." The NWS uses "fair,"
typically at night, to describe less than 3/8 cloud cover, with no
precipitation and no visibility limitations, extreme temperature or winds.
It describes what we’d generally consider to be pleasant weather
conditions…although to be fair, one man’s pleasant…..

Having said that, tomorrow’s weather will be partly mostly fair…or is that
mostly partly fair?
Err….look outside. It will be what it is… and not always what they say it
will be…
Is that clear to you? Mostly clear? Partly clear?? The entire thing
remains somewhat foggy to me…

Back at the partly cloudy watch site, things were happening fast. Mike &
Evelyn were there first thing, soon joined by Howard. Sharpies & Cooper’s
Hawks were interfering with the work I had to get done. So, we went to
counting them. What had appeared a promising beginning soon settled into a
slow hawk movement day in general.

A moment of crisis, Howard temporarily misplaced his pedometer, leaving it
on a picnic table.
“Hey, I just wasted 30 steps that weren’t counted looking for it!” Said a
disgruntled Howard, as he started to shake his pedometer back and forth
violently to catch up… Nice work, Howard!

Dale was into my “congratulatory pretzels” in a big way today and without
the prerequisite of finding a good bird to earn one. That’s gonna cost
you, Dale! Dale was grabbing a pretzel for just SEEING the bird, not
FINDING it! In Dale’s mind and in her pretzel-eating euphoria, she was
attempting to do away with the “finder’s fee,” in its stead seeking a
“see-er’s fee!”
“There’s a Turkey Vulture!” – came a very sad extortion attempt by Dale.
“An act of desperation, Dale. A total act of desperation… no
“congratulatory pretzel for THAT!”

Butterflies were of interest today with Painted Lady and Eastern Comma in
the mix.
Thanks for the help with the butterfly checklist, Mike & Evelyn. I’ll show
you the end product. And thanks for finding us the Painted Lady.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
1-Blue Grosbeak, 18-Bobolink.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (16): Monarch - 40, Cabbage White,
Crescent, Orange Sulphur, Common Checkered Skipper, Buckeye, Red-spotted
Purple, Variegated Fritillary, Wild Indigo Duskywing, Sachem, Red Admiral,
Eastern Comma, Painted Lady. Dragonflies (3): Green Darner, Black
Saddlebags, Twelve-spotted Skimmer. Reptiles & Amphibians (0): Mammals
(2): Eastern Cottontail, Meadow Vole.
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 5.55; Steps: 13,025; Floors:
28.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 45; this season: 108
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks a lot like today with light winds.
<BR><BR>
Rain or shine.

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek