Date: 9/20/17 11:29 am
From: Jim Nelson <kingfishers2...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Backyard Wilson's Warbler, Bethesda, Mont. Co.
Sitting on the deck this morning enjoying my breakfast and watching
birds in our small backyard in Bethesda (suburban DC), I was surprised
to see a Wilson's Warbler flitting about.  Checking my eBird records,
this is my only second sighting in 36 years of observing in our yard.

Otherwise, migration sightings in our yard this fall have been few, a
sign of dwindling populations and physical changes in the neighborhood.

On an upbeat note, last evening eating pizza on the deck at sundown, we
were surprised to see a Red-tailed Hawk apparently chasing a larger bird
into a nearby tree.  Brief view of the other bird as it flew off, made
us suspect a Great Horned Owl.  Today having lunch the deck , we had 2
flyover Red-shouldered Hawks and an immature Cooper's Hawk landing in
the yard in pursuit of birds near the feeders.  So at least a lot of
raptor action these two days.

Jim Nelson

Bethesda, MD