Date: 9/20/17 9:13 am
Subject: Clapper Rail found dead in Raleigh, NC
I just got this message from Brian O'Shea, the Curator of Birds at the N.C.
Museum of Natural Sciences collections:

"Jeff Beane just handed me a roadkilled Clapper Rail he picked up on Monday
(18 Sept) on Reedy Creek Rd., between Blue Ridge and Edwards Mill. I have
entered it into our freezer log and given it a catalog number (NCSM 25372)."

Sadly, quite a few of our inland records of this coastal species are of
moribund birds from roads and the bases of skyscrapers. We do know that it
migrates at night over inland portions of the Carolinas. Whether this
bird's location can be attributed to Irma, as opposed to migrating
southward from the Northeast, isn't known yet; however, as there are a
number of subspecies of Clapper Rails, it might be informative to know if
subspecific identity can be determined. If a FL or other southern-state
subspecies, it would have been brought north by the hurricane. At any rate,
this would be about the 12th record for the NC Piedmont.

Harry LeGrand
author/editor, Birds of North Carolina website

Join us on Facebook!