Date: 9/19/17 6:06 pm
From: Stephen Johnson via va-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [Va-bird] help with bird call ID - verbal description only, no recording

Hello birders,

A fellow Christmas Bird Counter got this description, from one of our helpful landowners. I really like to give back to these people, who help out so much by letting us use their properties for the CBC every year.

Any ideas, folks? Thanks -- --

Steve Johnson
Fairfax, Virginia

(Dated 19 September -- -- )

> On and off for the past few weeks I have been hearing a bird call at dusk, sometimes at night and sometimes in the early morning before daylight.
>
> It is a shrill call that doesn't last long and the bird repeats itself after a few minutes- It sounds like eeH with soft nasal e's and raising intonation on the h. Last night the bird started at 8:45 and stopped before 9:30. Once when it happened at dusk I went out but the bird was hidden by tree leaves then it flew off and all I could see was a flash of white from the rear- it seemed to be a large bird but it was moving away fast and the light was bad so I could have been mistaken. Unfortunately it doesn't appear on a schedule.

P.S. I told him to suggest to the landowner, that they listen to Macaulay Library recordings for Northern Flicker (single whistle call) and Great-crested Fly. Anything else they should try?