Date: 9/19/17 3:03 pm
From: Kurt Schwarz <krschwa1...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Howard County Police Cut Off Access to Major Portion of Patapsco Valley State Park
Dear Maryland Birders,

If you visit the Henryton area of Patpasco Valley State Park on the Howard County side, you no longer have access thereto. The Howard County Bird Club has filed comment with the Chief of Police, Director of Public Works, County Executive and County Council. You, too, can register a complaint. This is YOUR park, but unthinking action by HCPD has ended your access to that part. See below for further context and suggested talking points. Or use your own. There is a easy email link to all the officials. Note, if you come from out-of-county to visit this spot, make that known in your email, this HCPD action affects more than just Howard County residents.

Kurt Schwarz
Conservation Chair
MOS
<krschwa1...>, kurtschwarz4@gmail

HOWARD COUNTY POLICE CLOSE ACCESS TO HENRYTON ROAD
PART OF PATAPSCO VALLEY STATE PARK

The Howard County Police Department cut off public parking on Henryton Road. In early September the Department of Public Works at the behest of the Howard County Police Department (HCPD) posted the circle (and much of the road) at the end of Henryton Road as “NO PARKING”. The circle is the only safe parking for access to that portion of Patapsco Valley State Park.

That means you can’t go into PVSP from Henryton Road. You can no longer visit Henryton’s abundant and diverse wildlife, at least 157 species of birds, dozens of reptile species, and numerous wildflowers found there. It is also the most consistent location for Cerulean Warbler, a rare breeder in Howard County, which attracts birders from all over the state. The area is also popular with fisherman, with trout being stocked in the river by the State.

Add your voice to that of the Howard County Bird Club by making your protest known. Below my signature are some thoughts that you should share with the Howard County Executive, County Council, Police Chief, and Department of Public Works. Also include Maryland Park Service since the Howard County Police cut off access to a section of the Patapsco Valley State Park without notifying them. Feel free to forward this email to other park users.
Copy the text below my signature and click on the SEND MAIL link. That brings up an email for your use. Paste the information you copied into the email body or provide your own personal experience, sign it, and send it.
John Harris
President
Howard County Bird Club

Howard County Police Department has cut off my access to the Henryton section of Patapsco Valley State Park in Howard County by posting NO PARKING signs.
We understand this posting may have been occasioned by complaints of local residents about partying and other undesirable activities in the area. We are sympathetic to those concerns, but this could easily be solved by posting no parking at night and a few well-timed patrols by HCPD officers to deter future unwanted activities. We also suggest partnership with Maryland Natural Resources Police. This would allow taxpayers continued access to their State Park.
Why not just change the no parking signs at the end of Henryton Road to read
NO PARKING DUSK TO DAWN?

SEND MAIL

Copyright © 2017 Howard County Bird Club, All rights reserved.
All with email address

Our mailing address is:

Howard County Bird Club
P.O. Box 1323