Date: 9/19/17 12:58 pm
Subject: Jordan Lake: Spoonbill and Wood Stork
Rick Payne and I visited both the New Hope Creek and Morgan Creek sections of Jordan Lake this morning. At the latter, we easily saw the Roseate Spoonbill feeding with Gr Egrets, as soon as we emerged from the forest onto the shore. We later saw it in flight, then perched in a tree before landing again with the egrets.
At New Hope Creek, we saw the Wood Stork fly south from the north end of the lake and then return several minutes later, to disappear behind the cypress trees.
Both spots had many Killdeer, Lesser Yellowlegs (some at Morgan Crk, 40-50 at New Hope), c. 3-5 Pectoral Sandpipers at each spot, a few peep at both spots (mainly Least, with a few Semis, and also 1 Western at Morgan), and 3 Stilt Sandpipers at New Hope. The shorebirds at New Hope Creek are well south of the railroad embankment, but itís an easy walk south along a fairly dry shore. Light would be best in the later afternoon.

Good birding!
Bob Rybczynski
Cary, NC

Join us on Facebook!