Date: 9/19/17 12:53 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Wood Dale Reservoir & Both Technys Tuesday 9-19-17
Hello Bird People,

There have been 2 important local shorebird locations that have been
flooded this Summer/Fall & therefore have had no shorebirds. One place
is Big Marsh & the other was the Wood Dale Reservoir complex which
includes the Itasca Wetlands just off Prospect. But last week I rec'd
an email from local birder Nancy H saying that all of a sudden the
actual reservoir now had mud flats around the edges. So today I
checked it out & the habitat is great but it's too bad this didn't
happen a few weeks ago when shorebirds were more common. However, the
Itasca Wetlands portion remains flooded.

Wood Dale Reservoir (8-10 a.m.)

In the reservoir were D.C. Cormorant (1), Great Blues (3) & Great Egret (2)
Shorebirds were Killdeer (58), Least (2), Semipalmated (1) & Pectoral
(3) Sandpipers
Also Ring Billed (3-AD) & Herring (1-AD) Gulls
Three Canada Geese flew by & a MERLIN buzzed & flushed many of the Killdeer.

In the Middle Pond were 2 more Cormorants, 1 more Great Egret & 1
Solitary Sandpiper
The creek had 1 more Great Blue, 2 more Great Egrets & 4 Mallards.
The only birds at the Itasca Wetlands were D.C. Cormorant & Great Egret (1 each)
Interesting land birds were Nashville (2) & YELLOW RUMPED MYRTLE (1)
Warblers, Common Yellowthroat (1 young male) & my 1st Fall WHITE
THROATED SPARROW.

Techny Basin North & South Sections (11:15 a.m.-12:35 p.m.)

I like to check these places after a rain as they flood so easily &
today that was again the case in spite of there being not that much
rain over night. Both Technys are completely flooded with no mud flats
at all. The only shorebird at Techny North was a fly-by Killdeer who
did not land as there was no place to land. At Techny Basin South a
few Solitary Sandpipers were on mud edges but that's it.

Great Blues & Great Egrets were at both places & 1 P.B. Grebe & 1
young Black Crowned Night Heron were at the North Section. The only
ducks were Mallards & Wood Ducks & 5 Cormorants were at Techny North.
Let's give these 2 places a few days to let the water go down.

Bird-Of-The-Day to the shorebird chasing Merlin & Runner-Up to the
young Black Crowned Night Heron. I was glad to get back to the Wood
Dale Reservoir even though few species of shorebirds were there today.
I'll try again next week.

Al Stokie
In both DuPage & Cook Co's today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>