Date: 9/19/17 7:05 am
From: Tim Carney <timmyc83...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Re: Swan Creek: CONNECTICUT WARBLER, rare shorebirds
Apologies for the temporary closure yesterday!

Overall it was one of my best censuses this year despite three Peregrine Falcons constantly taking shots at the waterfowl and shorebirds! Aside from the highlights I already posted, I also found three Black-bellied Plover, a second American Golden-Plover, and two Ruddy Turnstones on the north tern island. Additionally there was a great mixed flock on the road to the wetlands that was moving through just before closing (3:10 PM). The most exciting species were Philadelphia Vireo, Tennessee Warbler, Nashville Warbler, Blackburnian Warbler, and Rose-breasted Grosbeak. As I was driving back, I saw a White-throated Sparrow in the brush - I'm not sure if this is the oversummering bird or a new arrival.

I also heard a Sora in the wetlands and another bird nearby that sounded like a gallinule.

Weirdest miss: ZERO Red-winged Blackbirds.

Full list from yesterday with photos:

Tim Carney
Parkville/Towson, MD

*** NOTE: Swan Creek/Cox Creek is an active industrial site and mitigation project in northern Anne Arundel Co. Access is at the end of Kembo Road off Fort Smallwood Road near 695. The site is open ONLY Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Please be in your car and leaving at 3:30 p.m.. Remember to always sign in at the office, to be on your best behavior (people have worked hard to coordinate this access), and to stick to permitted areas. This Swan Creek map linked here details where you are and aren't allowed to walk. http://www.billhubick.com/docs/swan_creek_map.jpg. ***