Date: 9/18/17 5:07 pm
Subject: Carteret County Ruff continues
I stopped by the Beaufort Country Club (formerly North River Golf Club) on
my way back to Beaufort this evening and was able to view the Ruff found by
Clyde Atkins yesterday. When I arrived around 5:30 PM, Chapel Hill birders
Haven and Minna were already on the bird. They told me the Buff-breasted
Sandpiper had been near the Ruff until just a few minutes before I arrived,
apparently spooked by an Osprey. While we watched, the Ruff got up from
its resting position and foraged for a few minutes, then stood very still
for five minutes or so, and then flew away. We do not know whether, or
where, it landed as it flew into the sun from our perspective. A short
while later the Buff-breasted Sandpiper appeared, so it is possible the
Ruff is still present, since they apparently have been hanging around
together. Approximate GPS coordinates: *34.752550, -76.640012.*

Marty Wall
Beaufort, NC

Join us on Facebook!