Date: 9/18/17 12:40 pm
From: Harry Glasgow via va-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [Va-bird] Huntley Meadows Monday Morning Birdwalk
 A beautiful morning greeted a large gathering of over 30 birders on today's Huntley Meadows Monday Morning Birdwalk.  We tallied 46 species, with not too many highlights, however.  We counted only 4 species of Warbler in the days of many species seen at neighboring birding spots. We did witness a skirmish between a PileatedWoodpecker and a Cooper's Hawk which produced some excitement but no outcome.  The Autumn Equinox arrives this coming Thursday, 22 September, at about 4 PM, bringing us into seasons of change in our tallies.   Join us and witness these changes every Monday at 7 AM (8AM beginning sometime in November).  We look forward to seeing you then.
Canada Goose  7
Wood Duck  25
Mallard  1
Great Blue Heron  6
Great Egret  2
Green Heron  1
Cooper's Hawk  1
Bald Eagle  1
Red-shouldered Hawk  1
Mourning Dove  14
Yellow-billed Cuckoo  1
Chimney Swift  12
Belted Kingfisher  3
Red-headed Woodpecker  3
Red-bellied Woodpecker  8
Downy Woodpecker  3
Hairy Woodpecker  1
Northern Flicker  2
Pileated Woodpecker  2
Eastern Wood-Pewee  1
Acadian Flycatcher  4
Eastern Phoebe  3
Great Crested Flycatcher  2
White-eyed Vireo  1
Blue Jay  8
Fish Crow  2
crow sp.  2
Northern Rough-winged Swallow  16
Tree Swallow  5
Carolina Chickadee  9
Tufted Titmouse  7
White-breasted Nuthatch  2
Carolina Wren  6
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher  1
Eastern Bluebird  3
American Robin  30
Gray Catbird  6
Black-and-white Warbler  1
Common Yellowthroat  5
American Redstart  1
Chestnut-sided Warbler  1
Eastern Towhee  1
Northern Cardinal  6
Red-winged Blackbird  12
American Goldfinch  8

The Monday Morning Birdwalk has been a weekly event at Huntley Meadows since 1985. It takes place every week, rain or shine (except during electrical storms, strong winds, or icy trails), at 7AM (8AM from November through March), is free of charge, requires no reservation, and is open to all. Birders meet in the parking lot at the Park's entrance at 3701 Lockheed Blvd, Alexandria, VA. Questions should be directed to Park staff during normal business hours at (703)768-2525.

Harry GlasgowFriends of Huntley Meadows Park