Date: 9/17/17 2:54 pm
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (17 Sep 2017) 799 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 799 1417 1426

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end time: 17:00:00
Total observation time: 9 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Hank Davis, John McNamara, Mike Gardner

Visitors:
CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (25): Walter Borys, Puff Busch, Hank Davis, Curt Davis, Kris
DeBolt, Paty Wade, Colleen DelMonte, Fran DeMillion, Pam Dimeler, Laureen
Eick-Benson, Mike Gardner, Jean-Marie Gauthier, Lana Glass, Lou Horwitz,
Meghann Matwichuk, Sharon Milner, Ralph Milner, Kathleen Pileggi, Anita
Regester, Bill Lucas, Maria & Elias Zouras, Pepper Walling, John McNamara.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
Fog-Partly Cloudy (50-70% cloud cover), Ceiling - 11,400-23,900 ft.,
Visibility - 1-10 miles, Temps 68 - 81F, Winds ENE @ 5 - 10 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 1-Cooper's Hawk,
4-Red-shouldered Hawk, 4-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (70) and
Turkey Vultures (70).
<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-2; 2 yr.-1; 3 yr.-0; 4 yr.-1; adult-4
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ ---“That’s a Fine Kettle of Hot Air You’ve Got Us In,
Ollie”---

I did a little of our regular Sunday bird walk this morning. Warbler
action has died down some, but we still ran into a few - Parula, Magnolia,
Black-and-white, Redstarts
A Least Flycatcher, our season’s second, was a nice, but brief surprise,
disappearing nearly as soon as it was found. A singing White-eyed Vireo
was nice, too.

I broke away from the walk, having to make coffee and begin my watch. Two
hummingbirds came by and in typical “hummingbird fashion” fought and chased
each other away….from my red TRAILER HITCH HANDLE! There were three actual
feeders full in my feeder area to fight over. It’s not like I’m spinning a
centrifuge and trying to build weapons of mass destruction and testing
missiles…it’s a TRAILER HITCH! Can’t we all just get along??

We all enjoyed coffee at the Watch, seeing a few Broad-wings drift by. One
person, I think it was Bill, even going so far to say that my coffee was
GREAT! Bill, I have never been so-accused! I aim for ‘tolerable’ and miss
wretchedly, at times. I worry about you, my friend. At 12:02PM two Ravens
came by…again!

Enough, playful banter! My “clicker” (used to count Broad-wings” as they
break off a kettle to form another, more distantly to the south) was
beginning to see quite a bit of play! Around noon, all Hell broke loose,
for a spell…I guess those Ravens signaled the onset. In roughly an hour’s
time, 761 Broad-winged Hawks came by in several such kettles - each
twisting higher in tight circles within the thermal, until one bird decides
it’s high enough and time to seek another such thermal to the south and
begin the process again. Our decisive sentinel departs, signaling each to
follow in quick order. My ‘clicker’ was feeling the stress. Just as
quickly as it had begun, it was over. Among the Broad-wings had been Bald
Eagles, Ospreys, Harriers, Sharpies, Cooper’s, Kestrels and Merlins. Great
fun, while it had lasted. There will be more!
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
1-Least Flycatcher, 1-White-eyed Vireo, 2-COMMON RAVEN, 1-Northern Parula,
2-Magnolia Warbler, 4-Black-and-white Warbler, 8-American Redstart,
1-Rose-breasted Grosbeak, 4-Blue Grosbeak, 15-Bobolink.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (13): Monarch - 45, Cabbage White,
Crescent, Black Swallowtail, Orange Sulphur, Common Checkered Skipper,
Buckeye, Red-spotted Purple, Wild Indigo Duskywing, Sachem. Dragonflies
(2): Green Darner, Black Saddlebags. Reptiles & Amphibians (0): Mammals
(2): Eastern Cottontail, Red Fox.
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 6.57; Steps: 15,414; Floors:
40.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 59; this season: 106
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (0):” None.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks like a carbon copy of today....which I would take!
<BR><BR>
Rain or shine.
The Nighthawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve is sponsored by THE LAND

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek

Directions to site:
From Kennett Square, PA (in southern Chester County):