Date: 9/17/17 12:16 pm
Subject: Re: Ruff/Reeve and Buff-breasted Sandpiper near Beaufort NC
Excellent photos of the Ruff and Buff-breasted Sandpiper from Steve Howell,
on the eBird report. However, Steve uploaded the two Least Sandpiper photos
under Buff-breasted Sandpiper, so that "Buff-breasted Sandpiper" on the
eBird list has 4 photos -- two of Leasts and two of the Buff-breasted. I
am sure he or an editor can quickly correct this. Thanks.

Harry LeGrand
Raleigh

P.S. Eddie Owens' White-rumped Sandpiper at Lake Wheeler from yesterday
remained to be seen by several of us (me around 9:30 and Lucas Bobay this
afternoon). I was going to enter an eBird report now but I saw essentially
what Lucas did from the overlook -- not much but Killdeer and far distant
other shorebirds.

On Sun, Sep 17, 2017 at 1:19 PM, John Fussell <jofuss...> wrote:

> This morning Clyde Atkins found a juvenile Ruff/Reeve and a juvenile
> Buff-breasted Sandpiper at the Beaufort Club golf course just N of
> Beaufort. Steve Howell and I found the birds soon thereafter.
>
> The birds were at the south end of the golf course, at the very end of the
> road, along the borders of a recently paved section of road in a new
> subdivision (no houses yet). Bordering the road, on both sides, is mostly
> bare ground with newly planted grass. The birds were at about 34.7525,
> -76.6423.
>
> Sometimes both birds could be seen standing next to each other, and both
> were very tame. Other shorebird species seen while we were there were
> Killdeer, Black-bellied Plover, Semipalmated Plover, Pectoral Sandpiper
> (1), Least Sandpiper, and Semipalmated Sandpiper.
>
> A Merlin was working the area while we were there, causeing the shorebirds
> to flush and fly around occasionally.
>
> John Fussell
> Morehead City, NC

Join us on Facebook!