Date: 9/17/17 10:20 am
From: John Fussell <jofuss...>
Subject: Ruff/Reeve and Buff-breasted Sandpiper near Beaufort NC
This morning Clyde Atkins found a juvenile Ruff/Reeve and a juvenile
Buff-breasted Sandpiper at the Beaufort Club golf course just N of Beaufort.
Steve Howell and I found the birds soon thereafter.

The birds were at the south end of the golf course, at the very end of the
road, along the borders of a recently paved section of road in a new
subdivision (no houses yet). Bordering the road, on both sides, is mostly
bare ground with newly planted grass. The birds were at about
34.7525, -76.6423.

Sometimes both birds could be seen standing next to each other, and both
were very tame. Other shorebird species seen while we were there were
Killdeer, Black-bellied Plover, Semipalmated Plover, Pectoral Sandpiper (1),
Least Sandpiper, and Semipalmated Sandpiper.

A Merlin was working the area while we were there, causeing the shorebirds
to flush and fly around occasionally.

John Fussell
Morehead City, NC

Join us on Facebook!