Date: 9/16/17 1:42 pm
From: Geoff Malosh <pomarine...>
Subject: Allegheny County, Sewickley - Tennessee Warblers all over the place
I birded Sewickley Park and nearby for about four hours this morning. I
can't remember the last time I saw so many Tennessee Warblers around here.
At Sewickley, especially in the meadow area, I tallied at least 12
Tennessees, as well as a fair number of Bay-breasted and many Magnolia (as
is typical). Later in the morning (after 10:30) I stopped by at Walker Park
not expecting much late in the morning but quickly found another very large
flock of warblers that contained, I assume, at least 15 and possibly 20 or
more Tennessee Warblers and at least 5 Bay-breasted and 2 Cape May.
Tennessees seemed to be everywhere at Walker including foraging on the
ground in a few places. I guess it must have been a good budworm year in the
boreal forest.

A total of 14 warbler species for the day also included Blackpoll and
Wilson's at Sewickley among the expected migrants. Hooded was the only
breeding species still present; amazingly I didn't see a single American
Redstart in all the activity. Swainson's Thrushes were calling all around
the park too. A well-studied Yellow-bellied Flycatcher and a single Eastern
Wood-Pewee were the only flycatchers. Early vanguards of the next wave of
species still to come later in this month included single Ruby-crowned
Kinglet and Lincoln's Sparrow, both on the Sewickley Park pipeline.

I got home around noon and quickly found a small group of warblers in the
backyard. Of course they turned out to be 2 Tennessee and a Bay-breasted.
I'll be curious to see how many "double-up" flight calls there are on my
recordings from last night - Tennessee is one of four warbler species that
gives this distinctive flight call type, though the four species themselves
are very difficult to distinguish from each other even with good recordings.
(The other three are Nashville, Black-throated Green, and Orange-crowned.)

Good birding,

Geoff

Geoff Malosh

Allegheny County