Date: 9/16/17 1:33 pm
From: Elton Morel via va-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [Va-bird] NVBC walk at Algonkian Regional Park, Loudoun county, Sep 16, 2017 - Wilson's and Bay-breasted Warblers

Hello VA Birders:  The Northern Virginia Bird Club conducted a bird walk this morning at Algonkian Regional Park in Loudoun county.  28 birders led by David Ledwith and me enjoyed a nice morning of birding though it got hot fairly quickly.  The park was very popular this weekend for activities other than birding - picnickers with music through loud speakers, flag football, kayaking, crew boats with coaches on megaphones, leaf blowers -- but we managed a fairly good morning of birding. Though it didn't seem like it given the slow start, we did manage to find 55 species.  Our best birds were a Wilson's Warbler in a willow tree along the boardwalk path between the football field and the river, a remarkably cooperative, well-seen and photographed Bay-breasted Warbler, and a flyover Caspian Tern which is a bit unusual up in Loudoun county.  Other warblers found were Chestnut-sided, Magnolia, Black-throated Green, Black-and-white, Yellow, Common Yellowthroat, Northern Parula and American Redstart. Other notables were excellent looks at Yellow-billed Cuckoo, distant look at a Broad-winged Hawk in amongst a kettle of Turkey Vultures, flyovers of Red-headed Woodpeckers and Pileated Woodpeckers, and a female Indigo Bunting. Below is the complete eBird checklist.  I think I shared the eBird list with everybody, but if I missed anyone, please send me a note. Elton Morel Arlington, Virginia

Algonkian Regional Park, Loudoun, Virginia, US
Sep 16, 2017 7:00 AM - 11:00 AM
Protocol: Traveling
2.0 mile(s)
Comments: NVBC walk led by David Ledwith & Elton Morel.
55 species (+7 other taxa)

Canada Goose 40
Wood Duck 1
duck sp. 1 Quick flyover, unidentified.
Double-crested Cormorant 15
Great Blue Heron 3
Great Egret 1
Turkey Vulture 10
Osprey 2
Sharp-shinned/Cooper's Hawk 1 Probably a Cooper's
Bald Eagle 1
Broad-winged Hawk 1 Distant bird in amongst Turkey Vultures.
Red-tailed Hawk 1
Killdeer 2
Caspian Tern 1 Flyover. Large tern, RBGU-sized. Black underside to the primaries, large red bill.
Mourning Dove 2
Yellow-billed Cuckoo 2
Chimney Swift 40
Ruby-throated Hummingbird 1
Belted Kingfisher 1 Heard only
Red-headed Woodpecker 2 Flyovers
Red-bellied Woodpecker 8
Downy Woodpecker 6
Hairy Woodpecker 1
Northern Flicker 5
Pileated Woodpecker 2
Eastern Wood-Pewee 4
Empidonax sp. 1
Eastern Phoebe 3
Red-eyed Vireo 5
vireo sp. 2
Blue Jay 15
American Crow 4
Fish Crow 2
crow sp. 6
Carolina Chickadee 12
Tufted Titmouse 15
White-breasted Nuthatch 6
House Wren 3
Carolina Wren 10
Eastern Bluebird 8
American Robin 10
Gray Catbird 6
Northern Mockingbird 5
European Starling 50
Cedar Waxwing 10
Black-and-white Warbler 1
Common Yellowthroat 3
American Redstart 1 Immature female
Northern Parula 4
Magnolia Warbler 5
Bay-breasted Warbler 1 Remarkably cooperative bird. Photos by Libby Lyons.
Yellow Warbler 1
Chestnut-sided Warbler 4
Black-throated Green Warbler 1
Wilson's Warbler 1
warbler sp. (Parulidae sp.) 2
Song Sparrow 2
Northern Cardinal 12
Indigo Bunting 1
Common Grackle 1 Flyover
blackbird sp. 4 Flyovers, either BHCO or RWBL.
American Goldfinch 15

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S39209545