Date: 9/13/17 2:47 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET N.E. Lake County Lakefront-Waukegan, Illinois Beach South & State Line Beach Wed 9-13-17
Hello Bird People,

Pressed for time today so I'll only give highlights which is, perhaps,
what I should do every day but seldom do. Paul Sweet was with at all 3
locations & I saw Adam S & Annette M briefly at Waukegan.

Waukegan Beach, Pier & Backwaters (7-7:45 a.m.)

On the pier & nearby beach were Semipalmated Plover (2 pointed out by
Adam), Sanderling (3) &
Semipalmated Sandpiper (1). Also 1 Spotted Sandpiper seen by Paul but
not by me. No special Gulls, no Terns & very few Canada Geese &
Mallards. On my way out there was a MERLIN eating what looked to be a
Starling but may have been a Blackbird of some sort.

Illinois Beach South Unit (Beach only) (8:10-9:30 a.m.)

Only 2 shorebird species but one was a fairly good one which was a
BLACK BELLIED PLOVER near the mouth of the Dead River. Along the beach
edge were 4-5 Sanderlings. Another bird I'm glad I saw was 1 AMERICAN
PIPIT close to the big Plover. One Cooper's Hawk was being chased by 6
Crows but to our surprise the Hawk & all the Crows all landed together
on the beach & forgot about chasing each other & then the Hawk flew
off ignored by the Crows.

State Line Beach (9:50-10:10 a.m.)

Only birds here were about 300 Ring Billed & Herring Gulls, 14
Killdeer & later on 4 Sanderlings.
Four Cormorants flew by.

Quick stops on the way home at both Techny's found that the only
shorebirds were Killdeer (9 & 14)
& Solitary Sandpiper (1 & 5). Among the Great Egrets & Great Blues was
one adult BLACK CROWNED NIGHT HERON (Techny North). Had 5 species of
ducks which were Wood Ducks, Mallards, SHOVELER (1-F) & both Green
Winged (1) & Blue Winged (4) Teal.

Bird-Of-The-Day to the Black Bellied Plover & Runner-Up to my 2nd
Pipit of the year.
Master Of Disguise Award to the Merlin which held the dead Starling in
a way that let it's wings drop straight down making the Merlin look
like a rather dark Swallow Tailed Kite. This did cause me to hit the
brakes & do a double take until I found I had been tricked. Oh well.

Al Stokie
Mostly on Lake County beaches today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings: