Date: 9/13/17 12:33 pm
From: Tom Wood <tcwood729...>
Subject: [wisb] Re: Lake Barney, Dane Co.
I am confused by the photos. It seems like I am seeing 2 different birds among the 3 photos. All 3 photos seem to be of young birds that are difficult to identify.
The top photo shows a sparrow with an orange face with a nice straight and long post-ocular stripe, and a bill that is longer and thinner than the bill of the sparrow in the photos beneath it. We don't have much of a look at the crown, but a slice of one lateral crown stripe is visible and appears dark brown. I don't have any experience with juvenile Nelson's Sparrows, but this bird looks a lot like a Nelson's Sparrow to me.
The birds in the 2 lower photos look the same to me, and that really short, stubby, and thick bill look great for Henslow's Sparrow. The face on these birds shows a hint of green which is also good for Henslow's Sparrow.
These are just my thoughts, so if anybody can enlighten us, please post.
I can see why Steve found the young birds tough to call in the field; even with photos I am having difficulty.
Thomas Wood, Menomonee Falls, Waukesha County