Date: 9/13/17 10:55 am
Subject: Probable yellow-bellied flycatcher in Watauga Co., NC
Birders, another enjoyable morning birding my property in northern Watauga Co. The highlight was an empid that I think is a probable yellow-bellied flycatcher. I had excellent looks as it foraged with a nice flock of wood warblers (13 spp, 50+ individuals) in a brushy clearing next to a small stream just a short distance from my house. Details are in the eBird report--link below.

I've learned the best way to get good looks at migrants is to find a place where they descend from the trees to drink and bathe. I am fortunate to have just the place very near my house--it is a customary spot for the resident birds and the migrants seem to follow their lead.

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__ebird.org_ebird_view_checklist_S39159862&d=DwIFAg&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=ymRCw6Q-sBitug_rdeO1Tokz-I_SX2LQN2_Ocvlal9U&m=_fs0b-9e5uSlbqllLD-Q-9cCzMrGC-YrGat38SYDhC0&s=IHodzejnoJfQVZvz8qs2uIaMoU1PuEDo-tnU-0h3l3c&e=

J. Merrill Lynch
Conservation Biologist
Echo Valley Farm
Watauga County, NC