Date: 9/13/17 10:09 am
From: casey cunningham <redpeelingbark...>
Subject: [obol] 40 Black Rosy-Finches - Steens East Rim
I spent Tuesday morning wandering around the rim of Steens Mountain. I had
one encounter with a flock of ~40 black rosy-finches with ~five pine
siskins mixed in. They landed behind the interpretive sign at the East Rim,
at the feet of a small crowd. After about a minute an accipiter and
prairie falcon appeared and the flock swirled high high high overhead for a
few minutes before disappearing to the east.

Other birds seen on the rimrock were a lewis' woodpecker, six western
bluebirds, townsend's solitaire, juncos, rock wrens, a golden eagle. Also
a bobcat and two groups of big-horn sheep, 6 and 13 individuals. Two sage
grouse were nearby.

Casey Cunningham
Portland

Join us on Facebook!