Date: 9/13/17 9:20 am
From: Pete Janzen <pete.janzen...>
Subject: A few W. KS highlights from last weekend
  I managed to get roped into doing a window repair in Greensburg on
Saturday, so I invited Tom Ewert along and we birded from about 10 am
Saturday through mid-afternoon on Sunday.  We covered a lot of ground.
With warm temps and strong south winds, birding was generally slow but
we did find a fair number of migrants on Sunday, especially in Haskell
Co.  A lot of the playas that we had visited in early July were dry or
with greatly reduced surface water.  WF Ibis were in strong numbers in
several counties.

Here are a few things worth mentioning

9/9 Road 33 timber area 7 miles south of Greensburg, Kiowa Co.: 1
Peregrine Falcon.  This is a good birding stop where I always seem to
find something of interest.

9/9 Herron Playa, Ford Co. : 1 Green Heron and 1 Wilson's Snipe. Several
hundred WF Ibis.

9/9 Dog town near Satanta, Haskell Co.: 1 Ferruginous Hawk and 2
Burrowing Owls

9/10 Feedlot pond near Satanta: 1 Sanderling and a few other shorebird
species

9/10 Hugoton Storm Runoff ponds, Stevens Co. : 1 Barn Owl and 1 Belted
Kingfisher

9/10 7 miles SW of Ingalls, Gray Co. : 1-Taiga Merlin

9/10 in town at Cimarron, Gray Co.: 1 Peregrine Falcon

9/10 Satanta City Park, Haskell Co.: 1 Am. Redstart, several Wilson's
Warblers, 1 Ruby Crowned Kinglet, 1 Pine Siskin, 2 Red-breasted
Nuthatches, 1 Gr. Crested Flycatcher, 1 Willow/Alder Flycatcher

9/10 Sublette Shelterbelt: 1 Mourning/Macgillivray's Warbler, too brief
to identify to species.  Also Hairy Woodpecker, House Wren, Brown
Thrasher, E. Kingbird and another Willow/Alder Flycatcher

--
Pete Janzen Wichita, KS <pete.janzen...>

For KSBIRD-L guidelines go to
mailto:<ksbird-l-request...>

Join us on Facebook!