Date: 9/13/17 9:04 am
From: Rebecca Coulter <rfcphoebe...> [sbcobirding] <sbcobirding-noreply...>
Subject: [sbcobirding] SBMNH Vireo
Good morning birders,
During a quick walk around the southeast side of the SBMNH grounds this
morning, the first bird in my binoculars was a very bright Solitary-type
vireo that I could not completely rule out as a Blue-headed. Much more
likely to be Cassin's, but this bird was in very fresh, bright plumage, the
flanks were quite yellow, and the head was striking: very blue-gray
contrasting with the lighter olive-gray back color, showing no warm
brownish tones at all. Its white "spectacles" were very prominent on the
face. I haven't seen many Blue-headed so I'm not confident, but I would
certainly like to see more of this bird--my look was brief and I could not
re-find it. It was mid-level in the willows up creek of the auto bridge.

Otherwise fairly quiet at the Museum this morning; yesterday's tanager-fest
seems to have passed through overnight, and I observed no other obvious
migrant activity except a far-off chatter of an oriole that seems late to
me, since my neighborhood orioles have long since departed or at least
dispersed.

Rebecca Coulter
Santa Barbara

Join us on Facebook!