Date: 9/13/17 7:52 am
From: <mcvetas...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Pelagic birds blown inland (No sightings)
As the center of tropical depression, Irma, reaches southern Illinois (the outer bands actually touch Chicago this morning), I have been thinking about the possibility of pelagic species turning up on large inland reservoirs. A quick check of social media this morning shows a Black-capped Petrel in Tallahassee, Florida 30 miles inland, a White-tailed Tropicbird 150 miles inland in southwestern Georgia and Sooty Terns 250 miles inland in the mountains of North Carolina!

Back in July 2005, Sooty Terns were pushed by Hurricane Dennis (I think?) into Tennessee and one was even found on Lake Carlyle here in Illinois.

Just a little food for thought for those downstate who are birding Rend Lake, Crab Orchard, and Carlyle.

Find us something good!

Matthew Cvetas
Evanston, IL

Join us on Facebook!