Date: 9/13/17 7:06 am
From: MARGARET BAUER <margaretbauer09...>
Subject: Re: [IN-BIRD-L] odd incidental bird sighting
Got a couple of quick queries about where the bird was in Indianapolis. I was at the corner of Kessler and Lafayette Road in the near-northwest side of Indianapolis. The bird was flying in the direction of downtown Indianapolis. Only other thing I recall about the bird was long wings for the size of the bird.

> On September 13, 2017 at 9:58 AM MARGARET BAUER <margaretbauer09...> wrote:
>

> Driving to work just now (Indianapolis), I saw a single bird flying overhead--mostly white, maybe size of a small egret or a gull--but I'm really bad at estimatings sizes. Most distinguishing feature was very long, ribbon-like tail feathers that undulated in the wind as the bird flew (not held in place like normal tail feathers). Reminded me of a tropicbird's tail. From in my car (no binocs or camera) and only the length of a red light to view it, that's all that registered.
>

> I know I cannot get a definitive ID from just this description, but I'm very curious about what the bird may be. I am hoping someone on this forum might have answers to what kinds of birds (migrants probably) would be seen around here with those very long ribbon-like tailfeathers.
>

> Thanks for any insight you can provide,
>
> Margaret Bauer

Join us on Facebook!