Date: 9/13/17 5:11 am
From: Jack Chiles <chilesjack995...>
Subject: [texbirds] Tuesday morning bird census, Hagerman NWR.
On a cool mid September day we finished with 60 species. It was a very
enjoyable day. Passerines were scarce but there was an abundance of Egrets
and Herons. We found Green Herons at Meadow Pond. There was a Tricolored
Heron in Muleshoe Marsh. The two juvenile Brown Pelicans were still
present, sitting on a snag off the end of Plover Pad. We found a Sora
feeding amongst the cattails in Steedman Marsh along with White-faced Ibis,
Blue-winged Teals, Green-winged Teals, Mallards, Egrets and one each
Greater Yellowlegs and Long-billed Dowitcher. In the cattails in Mineral
Marsh we found 2 mature and 1 immature Black-crowned Night-Herons. We saw
Belted Kingfishers in Deaver Pond and Fisherman's Pond. On the road to
Sandy Point we had great looks at a Pileated Woodpecker sitting near the
top of a dead tree. We saw an early season Northern Harrier and a Northern
Flicker.
http://ebird.org/ebird/iss/view/checklist/S39146379
Jack Chiles, Texas Master Naturalist and volunteer Hagerman NWR.

http://www.freelists.org/list/texbirds

from the List Owner

Join us on Facebook!