Date: 9/13/17 4:50 am
From: <reports...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Wachusett Mountain (12 Sep 2017) 3050 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 1 1
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 1 10 10

Total: 3050 9473 9527

Observation start time: 07:30:00
Observation end time: 15:00:00
Total observation time: 7.5 hours

Official Counter: Rod Chase

Observers: Bill Rasku, Colleen Tank, Kevin Ryan, Paul Roberts,
Ursula Goodine

Visitors:
Observers: Kevin Ryan, Paul Roberts, Bill Rasku, Bob Secatore, Steve
Farrell, Colleen Tank, Judy Davis, Herb Stone, John Cannizzo, Tom Graham,
Steve and Kathy Olson, Marty McNamara,
Jackie and Keith Parker, Sylvia and Paul Guthrie, Peter and Sylvia Szwaja
and others I might have missed.

Weather:
At start: 63F with NW wind at 5-10 mph, occ. gusts to 15. The sky was
clear though visibility thru The Haze was only 10 mi.
Breeze backed off by 9am to 3-7mph from WNW; then 0-5 until 2pm as
direction crept around to WSW.
SW direction at 3pm, along with an increase to 5-10mph, was enough to shut
down the flight.
Temp. crept up thru the day to 72F when we left.

Raptor Observations:
Nominally fine conditions at start with a slow 1st hour while the sun got
some weak thermals working. By 9am BW's started moving and most rose up
from their overnight lodgings.
Numbers increased steadily thru noon hour and quickly tapered off to a
trickle by 3pm when wind went SW.
BE's: adults 10:28; 11:15, 11:38, 11:40; imm.'s 12:06, 12:20; juv. 12:56;
Ad. 12:56, [?] 2:15.

Non-raptor Observations:
Locals: TV's 10, RT's 7.
Juncos out to play today on hill.
Monarchs: 9

Predictions:
Sunny, with a high near 80. Light and variable wind becoming southwest 5 to
8 mph in the afternoon.

Heat can defeat thermals; SW wind is not good ...

"On the 7th day thou shalt rest." After 6 days in a row
(and nights typing), I might skip a day unless forecast changes in AM (?).
Report submitted by Rod Chase (<rodchase...>)
Wachusett Mountain information may be found at:
www.massbird.org/emhw

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=228

Join us on Facebook!