Date: 9/13/17 2:07 am
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (12 Sep 2017) 26 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 26 486 495

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end time: 17:00:00
Total observation time: 9 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Carol Majors, Kathleen Pileggi

Visitors:
CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (_): Ian Stewart, Kathleen Pileggi, Carol Majors, Ron Majors,
Cathy Huneke, Ann Stabb, Tim Zador, Carol Adler, Kathy Bellopede, Mej
Blake, Noel Bryson, Kitty Crossett, Nancy Drew, Betty Eichelberger, Bill
Eichelberger, Gerri Eisenstein, Dottie Engelbrecht, Pat Faulkner, Deliah
Foldes, Jean Holveck, Barbara Morrison, Donald Morrison, Tom Rice, Gerri
Ross, Kate Petrilli, Carolyn Ulrig, Hugh Ward, Regina Ward, Marylou
Wiezborski, Barbara Winfree.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
Partly Sunny (45-75% cloud cover), Ceiling - 30,000 ft., Visibility - 10
miles, Temps 55 - 76F, Winds NW-SSE @ 5 - 15 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 2-Cooper's Hawk,
2-Red-shouldered Hawk, 4-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (60) and
Turkey Vultures (70).
<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-0; 2 yr.-0; 3 yr.-0; 4 yr.-0; adult-2
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ ---“It Figures?”---

Here this morning were the Majors - in search of yesterday’s Connecticut
Warbler. No luck was to be had for that, but seen were: Magnolia Warbler,
Black-throated Green, Black-throated Blue Warbler, American Redstart, and a
Yellow-throated Vireo. Debby from Crosslands, another friend of the Hawk
Watch, reported 4 Broad-winged Hawks, Magnolia Warbler, Black-throated
Green Warbler, Redstarts and Green Herons from nearby Longwood Gardens, ON
Sept. 11 (DK).

Our group of over twenty residents from Maris Grove Retirement Community
arrived, full of zest and ready for a walk for warblers first, followed by
hawks at “The Watch”…oh, and lunch thrown into the mix. Not bad, huh? I
took the group to where the warblers had been all week and just yesterday
morning and… sure enough, not too much was around today…..for them. It
figures. Only the Redstarts obliged them, and that with some difficulty.
At the watch, my grill acted up with a burner refusing to stay lit. The
hawks also waited until after our group had left to make their presence
known. Ughhh!! It figures!

3 Common Nighthawks flying up the Red Clay Creek valley were a nice
surprise.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
3-COMMON NIGHTHAWK, 1-Yellow-throated Vireo, 2-Brown Thrasher, 1-Tennessee
Warbler, 4-Northern Parula, 3-Chestnut-sided Warbler, 4-Magnolia Warbler,
1-Black-throated Blue Warbler, 3-Black-throated Green Warbler,
1-Blackburnian Warbler, 1-Bay-breasted Warbler, 2-Black-and-white Warbler,
6-American Redstart, 1-Rose-breasted Grosbeak, 3-Blue Grosbeak,
15-Bobolink.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (13): Monarch - 14, Cabbage White,
Crescent, Black Swallowtail, Orange Sulphur, Common Checkered Skipper,
Buckeye, Red-spotted Purple, Great Spangled Fritillary, Wild Indigo
Duskywing, Sachem. Dragonflies (2): Green Darner, Black Saddlebags.
Reptiles & Amphibians (0): Mammals (2): Eastern Cottontail, White-tailed
Deer.
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 6.52; Steps: 15,289; Floors:
11.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 60; this season: 100
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (1):”
Yellow-throated Vireo.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks a bit iffy with the remnants of Irma beginning its
pass thru our region.
<BR><BR>
Rain or shine.
The Nighthawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve is sponsored by THE LAND

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek

Directions to site:
From Kennett Square, PA (in southern Chester County):