Date: 9/12/17 8:19 pm
From: charles saleeby <charlessaleeby...>
Subject: [GABO-L] Lake Allatoona summary including Great Shearwater
So I put in at the Blockhouse Ramp this afternoon just before 6 and had a few good terns near the ramp and in the Iron Hill area, all Bartow Co. There were Black Terns, Common Terns, Forster's Terns and a single Bridled Tern in Iron Hill.

The Dead Sea kicked in and there were no birds from there all the way past the damn and up the Etowah arm until I got almost to Victoria. There were a bunch circling, flying and feeding out in the large section between Gault's and Victoria. There were a bunch of Black Terns, some Common and Forster's Terns and 3 Sooty Terns.

On the way back towards the ramp and in dimming light while also running low on fuel I passed a bird on the water. I came to a halt and realized it was a Great Shearwater. I slowly spun around, got closer, cut the engine and took pictures while drifting by. It was not at all bothered and preened and flapped once. This bird was off the Red Top Mountain State Park heavily wooded section. It was on the Etowah side of the main lake but around the corner from the damn. I'm not sure but I do think there may be some trails that could offer some viewing.

There are a few pictures in the above ebird checklists. It got dark before I could make the run back to the Cobb section of the lake.
Chuck SaleebyKennesaw, GACobb County

Send regular postings to <gabo-l...>