Date: 9/12/17 7:24 pm
From: Dominik Mosur <polskatata...> [SFBirds] <SFBirds-noreply...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Yosemite Slough Restoration Area: SEMIPALMATED SANDPIPER, 9/12/17
Hatch year bird on the "Community Garden Pond", in the clean up area behind the cyclone fence. Shafter street is now separated from here by fence so you have to enter through the main gate at Thomas.

A small Sandpiper, appearing only slightly larger in direct comparison to Least observed in scope view. All black legs and feet. Differentiated from a Western, by a short, blunt tipped bill appearing about the same length as width of head. A bold supercilium giving it a dark cheek patch/dark capped look.. Back pattern very crisp and uniform, brownish toned. Pale brown unmarked looking upper breast. Overall shape is of a less stocky, smaller and rounder headed bird than a Western.

I don't think it's a stint. Differentiated from Red-necked by overall shape/size in relation to Leasts, doesn't look stocky and big headed, lack of grayish tones. Back pattern too uniform without the braces depicted on drawings of Little Stint.

I'm walking away from it as the light fades and fog rolls in. I hope it sticks until the morning. It's the first I've seen in San Francisco.

No sign of Russ Bright's Lark Sparrow which is a really good bird as well for the Bayside.

Dominik Mosur
San Francisco

Sent from my iPhone

.