Date: 9/12/17 7:17 pm
From: dea freid <lemuria...> [northbaybirds] <northbaybirds-noreply...>
Subject: [NBB] Mourning Warbler continues Pt Reyes Fish Docks
Early this morning, after reading Albert L.'s eBird report and seeing
his photos of the first fall MOURNING WARBLER at the outer Pt Reyes Fish
Docks, I made a quick decision to head on down to try to see this bird,
which would be a lifer for me. On my way there, I ran into Everett Clark
and Mary Anne Flett at Mendoza ("B" ranch), told them about the bird and
we all zoomed down to the Fish Docks. I wrote down the location given in
the report, but we were still unclear as to where exactly it was, so we
started searching in the bushes around the residence. No luck there.
Next we went to the pines past the residence to see what was there. Mary
Anne spotted a BLACKPOLL WARBLER in the small pine opposite the large
ones. Finally, we decided to go down the lowest paved road that leads to
the actual fish dock (not the same as the Life Saving Station) where the
Clay-colored Sparrow and Painted Bunting had recently been seen. When we
were almost to the dock, I spotted the bird on the ground! It was
well-described and photographed in Albert's report so I will only add
that I thought the throat was a brighter yellow than he indicated. It
clearly had a broken eye ring not the eye arcs of a MacGillivray's or
the complete eye ring of a Connecticut and the underparts were all
yellow. Everett and Mary Anne had seen a Mourning before and confirmed
the ID. Yahoo! Everett got a photo that I believe he will include with
his eBird report.

The bird was quite skulky but if one waited patiently, would
periodically appear and we all got good looks. It remained in a rather
small area which I will describe in detail. When one is almost to the
dock, there is an area of pavement stained by oil and a bit sticky on
the shoes. If you look at the hillside there, you will see a vegetation
covered gully. The vegetation is salmonberries (brambles) with
coffeeberry on the left. There is a small area on the left not covered
by plants with what looks like a wooden board on it. The edge between
the small open area and the plants is where it would appear every now
and again along with it moving through the salmonberries from time to
time. We got whole-body looks but generally not long enough for photos.
I'm amazed at all the photos Albert got.

For other locations, Nunes ("A" ranch) was the best with an oriole
spotted by Mary Anne that was likely a first fall male BALTIMORE ORIOLE.
I think I got photos of that one.

An exciting day at the Outer Point (Marin county)!

PS: I only used Albert's first name and last initial because I didn't
know how to contact him for permission to use his name, but I wanted to
give him credit as the finder of the Mourning Warbler.

Dea Freid

Sebastopol

Join us on Facebook!