Date: 9/12/17 6:50 pm
Subject: Re: 11 Hudsonian Godwits, Lake Wheeler
Hey everyone,
Thought I'd follow up about Michael O'Brien's Hudsonian Godwit flock off the Outer Banks. As a friend of his, I let him know his sighting had been brought up while discussing Hudsonian high count records in the state. He shared that his observation was not 20 birds but an amazing sight of 50+ Hudsonian's flying in two separate flocks a few minutes apart from one another. He further added that this is the most number of Hudsonian's he has ever heard of reported on the east coast south of Massachusetts.
Cheers,Kyle KittelbergerRaleigh, NC

On Tuesday, September 12, 2017 4:22 PM, Harry LeGrand <carolinabirds...> wrote:

Copied from my Birds of North Carolina website, for Hudsonian Godwit:

Coastal Plain .....
Peak counts: 16, Cape Hatteras, 29 Aug 1998; 15, resting on the ocean off Oregon Inlet, 25 Aug 1990; 15 at Rodanthe (Dare), 8 Sep 2009.

Piedmont Casual fall transient (only in the eastern portion), with three records: 1, Falls Lake, 21-23 Aug 1999; 2, Falls Lake, 11-15 Sep 1988; and 1 (photographed), Lake Wheeler (Wake), 27 Aug 2011*.

Mountains Accidental fall transient; one record -- 3 at Hooper Lane (Henderson), 8 Sep 2004* (after Tropical Storm Frances) [Chat 69:49 link].

-----

Thus, Michael O'Brien's 20 or so from shore this season would be a state record, if it gets published in The Chat (I don't pull data off eBird, carolinabirds, etc. -- but wait until records get officially published in The Chat or North American Birds before I include them on the website.)

As you can see, the 11 Hudsonians today at Lake Wheeler destroy the previous inland high of 3 birds.

I agree with Brian that Hudsonian Godwits don't put down inland unless there is some (mostly nighttime?) storminess, etc. Certainly doesn't have to be a tropical system.  And, winds don't HAVE to be strong from the E or NE to force them inland.  They nest well inland in Canada and migrate SE over inland USA and continue their fall migration south over the ocean or along the immediate coast.  So, we can't assume these 11 birds blew inland from their migration over the ocean. Recall also that Willets, Marbled Godwits, and Long-billed Curlews also nest far inland and do not normally stop at inland lakes unless there is a nighttime storm that forces them down.  Thus, whether the godwits were migrating TOWARD the coast and were forced down, or were already migrating south over the ocean and were carried inland by strong NE winds and then forced down, I guess we may never know.  (Presumably they were not carried in the eye of Irma up FL and then dropped out in NC; that doesn't compute.)

Enjoy them while they are still here -- I did around 12:30 today.  Thanks for the quick word on c-birds.

Harry LeGrand
Raleigh

On Tue, Sep 12, 2017 at 3:56 PM, Paul Glass <pag...> wrote:

Interestingly there was a group of 10 photographed near Harrisonburg, VA
back on 8/29.  No storms at the time.

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__urldefense.proofpoint&d=DwIFaQ&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=ymRCw6Q-sBitug_rdeO1Tokz-I_SX2LQN2_Ocvlal9U&m=u_TqwmNtdN4la4xpOYzn214opJ2UpWeRRmLgVk2u_YM&s=pUvkoLjKo0Q3kWFEVyGugFFbZct5wtz7od-a_qA-1Mo&e= . com/v2/url?u=http-3A__ebird. org_ebird_view_checklist_ S38894671&d=DwIBAg&c= imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6Y HLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=ymRCw6Q- sBitug_rdeO1Tokz-I_SX2LQN2_ Ocvlal9U&m= IQ47uo8XV9imaqXFjQMv3ceNMk4qzq 8i0iCqAPB_7c8&s=83CfyMWcFg- IdfP- sH98VjQb0DFgsfBDysJVlS6IwA0&e=

Paul Glass
South Boston, VA