Date: 9/12/17 5:52 pm
Subject: Lake Norman Storm Birds
Chris Talkington, Ron Van Epps, and myself took a boat out onto southern Lake Norman late this afternoon to check for storm birds.

Within the first 20 minutes we had a Sooty Tern and an adult Great Black-backed Gull. Both were seen in Mecklenburg, Iredell, and Lincoln counties. We chased the Gull down the lake until it circled higher and higher and then moved North out of sight.

We also checked Governor's Island in Lincoln County. This is a nice spit out into the lake only accessible by boat where we had a Buff-breasted and White-rumped Sandpiper, Ruddy Turnstone, Sanderling and Semi-palmated Plover.

The only other birds on the lake were 2 Common Terns, 1 Black Tern, a Bald Eagle and 2 Cormorants.

Kevin Metcalf joined us late and saw the Sooty Tern.

Good Birding,
Jeff Lemons
Charlotte, NC

Join us on Facebook!