Date: 9/12/17 2:25 pm
Subject: Orangeburg sod farms 9/12/17
I checked out several of the Orangeburg sod farms today. There were lots of large puddles and some shorebirds but not great numbers. There were a fair number of pectorals and least sandpipers and ubiquitous killdeer. I also found one buff-breasted sandpiper and three Wilson's snipe just west of Supersod Boulevard. The best bird was a red-necked phalarope found in a large puddle on the farm past Bookhardt farm east of I-26. It was in the first farm on left just past the I-26 flyover. Look for a paved entrance that is blocked by hay bales; the puddle is just north of the road. The phalarope was mixed in with some lesser yellow legs but was easy to find. It is in basic plumage and was actively foraging in the puddle.
John Cox
Mount Pleasant, SC

Join us on Facebook!