Date: 9/12/17 1:33 pm
Subject: Loggerhead Shrike back along Mid-Pines Rd., south of Raleigh
Loggerhead Shrikes nested at the N.C. State U. farm fields up until a year
or two ago, but not this year. The last report along this road appears to
have been on March 24 of this year, on eBird; and the last along nearby
Inwood Road was April 29 of this year. One did overwinter along Inwood Road.

So, this afternoon I was glad to see one, an apparent adult, along
Mid-Pines just east of the creek that flows into Yates Pond. I will assume
it must have bred somewhere fairly close by -- it seems a bit early for a
true migrant, but tons of people bird this general area each week, and the
species seemed to have disappeared this summer.

I do see a shrike now and then in SE and E Wake County in recent years, and
I suspect a few still breed in these more rural parts of the county. But,
shrikes have almost disappeared as breeders in the Triangle now, despite
some good habitat in some places.

Harry LeGrand
Raleigh

Join us on Facebook!