Date: 9/12/17 12:50 pm
From: <mike.carozza...> [SFBirds] <SFBirds-noreply...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Blackburnian Warbler, Rose-ringed Parakeet at Fort Mason
Migrants all seemed to come in at once this morning between the upper and lower sections of the battery, including some rarities.

The highlight was a BLACKBURNIAN WARBLER who flew in with a large flock which included BLACK-HEADED GROSBEAK, 1 ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLER, 1 HOODED ORIOLE, 2 WARBLING VIREO, along with many YELLOW WARBLERS and WESTERN TANAGERS.

An unexpected sighting was a ROSE-RINGED PARAKEET, who seemed like it was flying for its life for the 10 minutes it circled and squawked over the battery, evading a RED-SHOULDERED HAWK and then eventually flying towards the East Bay. As I understand, this must be an escaped bird. I thought things were getting even weirder when I heard another parrot-like chatter, which turned out to be a captive Blue-and-Yellow Macaw being shown off by its handler.

Others of note: CHIPPING SPARROW on the lawn and in the garden, CEDAR WAXWING, WILSON'S WARBLER, and a yellow-bellied Kingbird that I saw for an instant. I counted 4 total Black-headed Grosbeak.

-MC

Join us on Facebook!