Date: 9/12/17 12:19 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Gillson Park Lake Watch #3 & Heritage Park/Wheeling Tuesday 9-12-17
Hello Bird People,

A pretty slow day today with not much happening in the realm of
birding at least for me. I was joined by Rich DeCoster again for the
Gillson Lake Watch & what we saw today was almost a carbon copy of
Watch #2 last Friday. Plenty of birds to look at in Heritage Park but
almost no migrants.

Gillson Park Lake Watch #3 (7:15-10 a.m.)

D.C.Cormorant (6 fly-bys) & Blue Winged Teal (groups of 14 & 5)
Sanderling (3)
Ring Billed (86 on the beach) & Herring (~15 mostly flying by) Gulls
Caspian Tern (1 flying south)
Chimney Swift (2-3 fly-bys)

One Cooper's Hawk (1-IM) arrived with 3 Crows & they ended up chasing
each other for about 5 min. Later a 2nd Cooper's arrived & the 2 Hawks
chased each other! Four Starlings sat on light posts

Away from the beach were a bunch of House Sparrows & 1 Ruby Throated
Hummer gave good looks while on a branch.

Heritage Park In Wheeling (10:45-noon)

Along the stream were Great Blue (1) & Green (1) Herons, Mallard (14)
& Starling (~25)
On the soccer fields were 11 Killdeer & nearby were 15 House Sparrows
On or by the main pond were:
D.C. Cormorant (7), P.B. Grebe (10), Great Blues (3) & Great Egret (3)
Canada Goose (42), Mallard (49) & Blue Winged Teal (1)
Ringed Billed Gull (76)
Still awaiting the early migrant ducks.

Bird-Of-The-Day to the Ruby Throated Hummingbird mainly as it sat
still for good viewing for a change. Runner-Up to the battling
Cooper's Hawks & Crows.

Al Stokie
Not seeing much today in Cook County

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>