Date: 9/12/17 11:54 am
From: Terry Bronson <tbronsonbirds...>
Subject: Cooper's Rock--Olive-sided Flycatcher, Ruby-crowned Kinglet, Broad-winged Hawks, very agitated warbler flock
It was a very interesting morning at Cooper's Rock State Forest east of
Morgantown.

First stop was the Henry Clay Furnace Road/Roadside Trail crossing, where
highlights included:

Ruby-crowned Kinglet--1--only the second bird reported in the state this
autumn in eBird
Cedar Waxwing--30
Ovenbird--1
Tennessee Warbler--1
Blackpoll Warbler--2
Black-throated Blue Warbler--1

At the forest regeneration area on the east side of Chestnut Ridge Road,
highlights included:

Philadelphia Vireo--1
Common Yellowthroat--2
Magnolia Warbler--1

I then spent a couple of hours at the Ken's Run Trailhead and along the
road out to the logged area behind it. About 150 feet down the Ken's Run
trail, I encountered a large flock of warblers and other species in a
single tree. There were at least 20 and maybe as many as 40 birds. All were
acting very agitated. Eventually I saw why: there was a 4-5-foot long
bleached white shed snakeskin draped over a couple of branches about 30
feet or so up in the tree. The birds vocalized and flitted around it for at
least 10 minutes before deciding it was not a threat. Among those present
(several numbers are estimates and include a couple of birds seen later):

Red-eyed Vireo--4
Tennessee Warbler--3
Common Yellowthroat--1
Hooded Warbler--1
Black-and-White Warbler--1
Cape May Warbler--3, including a male still mostly in breeding plumage
Magnolia Warlber--6
American Redstart--2
Blackburnian Warbler--1
Chestnut-sided Warbler--3
Bay-breasted Warbler--2
Blackpoll Warbler--5
Black-throated Blue Warbler--1
Black-throated Green Warbler--3

Also of note along the road to the logged area:

Broad-winged Hawk--a kettle of 12 birds at 10:25 and 3 more at 11:17. My
first fall migrants. These appear to be the vanguard of this fall's
migration. I note Kyle Carlsen saw 6 birds after 11:00 along Route 310
south of Fairmont this morning. Interesting to speculate if some may have
been the same birds I saw a bit earlier--the timing seems to work. All
other sightings so far are of 1 or 2 birds. They'll be flooding in for the
next couple of weeks.
Olive-sided Flycatcher--1, my first of the year
Cedar Waxwing--15

Complete list at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S39144938

--
Terry Bronson