Date: 9/12/17 10:59 am
From: Jeff Madsen <bluewingjeff...>
Subject: [GABO-L] Murphey Candler this morning, no pelagic birds but Bank Swallow
I checked out Murphey Candler lake this morning in hopes of something good on the water. There was a large mixed flock of chimney swifts, barn swallows and n rough-winged swallows foraging which I watched for some time. The birds were several hundred yards away from me, but I kept getting a glimpse through the bins of a slightly smaller, brighter white on bottom bird that showed some contrast/pattern in the frontal area. Finally managed to get a decent look and was able to see the chest band of a Bank Swallow. Seems like there was only one bird. I'm not sure of the status of this species in the Piedmont of Georgia, but I have never seen one here.

I also had a nice, active mixed foraging flock in the woodland edge that included 20+ American Redstarts, several Hooded Warblers (one singing), Chestnut-sided Warbler (4), Northern Parula (at least 2, one singing), Magnolia Warbler (5), E. wood Pewee (3), Pine Warbler (3), several Gray Catbirds. There was also a single Great Egret, Double-crested Cormorant and Pied-billed Grebe on the water.

Jeff Madsen
Brookhaven GA DeKalb Co

Send regular postings to <gabo-l...>