Date: 9/12/17 9:55 am
From: Jeff Bray <jbray4913...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Re: Bank Swallow at dusk - San Joaquin 10 SEP
​Yesterday evening (11 SEP) I returned to the marsh with two others and the
Bank Swallow was still being seen with the large flock of swallows moving
around the ponds. All three of us tried but failed to get any photos. The
flock seems to have a pattern of flying in from Pond 1, over Ponds A-B then
flying over C and then over the wall into the IRWD area, then coming back
into Pond E then D then back towards Pond 1. We saw this pattern at least 3
times between 6p-7p. The bird is fairly easy to pick out in flight since
most of the other birds are Barn Swallows. Look for the bright white chin
and breast with the dark necklace. Careful that the Northern Rough-winged
Swallows don't fool you.

Jeff Bray
Irvine, CA​

On Mon, Sep 11, 2017 at 8:00 AM, Jeff Bray <jbray4913...> wrote:

> Last night I was at San Joaquin watching the sunset (6:30p-7:15p) and just
> had my binos and wide angle lens with me. Just before sunset, there was a
> large flock (30-40) of swallows that were moving around Ponds C-E. Barn
> Swallow, Cliff and Northern Rough-winged made up most of the pack, but I
> was able to see at least one Bank Swallow in the bunch. It had a very well
> defined necklace separating the white chin from the white breast. Never
> attempted a photo since all i had was my 24mm lens. It was around 6:45p
> when the birds were most active.
>
> Jeff Bray
> Irvine, CA

Join us on Facebook!