Date: 9/12/17 8:30 am
From: Linda Widdop <linda...>
Subject: phenomenal day at my little dog walking patch - Montco
Hi PABs - I haven't added to this list in a while but this morning's sightings were just WOW. My local patch is an abandoned housing development in Abington that we refer to as The Mudhole. The developer cut down most of the trees, cleared 15 acres, put in sewer, a road and curb cuts, then abandoned the project. That was 10 years ago. Since then, the local joggers and dog walkers have used the area (posted private property) due to the flat road and lack of traffic. The landscape is weedy fields and small trees backed by mature woods. I always bring bins and usually find local breeders and a few migrants in spring and fall. I don't know what happened today, but the "Mudhole" was hopping with birds. I tallied 35 species including close looks at Tennessee, Wilson's, Magnolia, BT Green, BT Blue and a Mourning Warbler! In addition, I saw a Pileated Woodpecker for the first time at this location too. Of course, I am in the habit of leaving the camera in the car since it never gets any action. So, no photos. Sigh.

The sad news is that another developer has recently taken over. The Mudhole will soon be turned into an "Active Adult" community for people 62+. They plan to put a walking path in but it won't be the same. Just when it was getting good. . .

Thanks,
Linda Widdop

Montgomery County PA/Villas NJ
I blog at: www.phillybirdnerd.net<http://www.phillybirdnerd.net/>