Date: 9/11/17 7:34 pm
From: Florence Sanchez <sanchezucsb11...> [sbcobirding] <sbcobirding-noreply...>
Subject: [sbcobirding] Atascadero Creek this morning
I birded the area between Patterson and the check dam this morning shortly after the rain shower.  It was pleasant birding.  At first there did not seem like there was much activity, but when I finished, I was surprised at how many species I actually saw.  Only the usual warblers present--Yellow, Orange-crowned, Wilson's, and Common Yellowthroat.  Best find was a Willow Flycatcher--seen clearly, All the points checked out (except call--the bird was silent).
I then walked east along the creek from Patterson to just beyond Turnpike, to the wooden bike bridge that spans the creek.  This section was quieter and I did not find much of note (did't see Hugh's Lazuli Bunting or Blue Grosbeak).  The exceptions were a Green Heron in the creek just below the aforementioned bike bridge and a pair of HAIRY Woodpeckers on a utility pole  in the residential area just north of the bike path (somewhere near Walnut, I think).  Odd place for them.
I finished up at the Ellwood Sanctuary at the end of Coronado Drive, where with several other birds I watched a number of species come in to bathe.  We had a nice selection of Warblers, including orange-crowned, Yellow, Townsend's (First of Fall for me), Black-throated Gray, Wilson's, anc Common Yellowthroat.
Florence Sanchez

Join us on Facebook!