Date: 9/11/17 6:59 pm
From: <alan.prichard...> [sbcobirding] <sbcobirding-noreply...>
Subject: [sbcobirding] Jameson Lake
By boat and along south and east shore:
Am. Coots 50+
Pied billed grebe 4
Western grebe 1. He was doing that back and forth head bobbing thing I saw them do at Cachuma January, only it was a solo WG
Mallard 40+
Great blue heron 2. These appear to be the same two I've been spotting for the past few weeks. I forgot to mention that one is a juvenile, which took me some time to ID.
Black phoebe 3

I saw a pair of what may have been loons??? Very easily spooked by the boat, so only seen from side/rear. Blue-grey body and top of wings. They were roosting in tree tops. Next week I will try to put in by canoe and maybe get better observations. The passerines here are different from what I'm used to in SB/ Montecito so I need to learn them somehow. I could have probably doubled this count if only I could recognize calls. Need to work on that.

I put a feeder full of black oil sunflower seeds in front of my cabin, but no activity after two weeks.

I am very busy with dam keeping and maintenance, so most observations are incidental. I still have much to learn of the regions birds. Several people have graciously offered assistance, but logistics makes it a challenge. The road is closed from E. Camino Cielo and I can't shuttle anyone in at this time. When the CBC gets near I hope to coordinate a crew on site.

Alan

Join us on Facebook!