Date: 9/11/17 6:12 pm
From: Robert Protz <0000005c73c8f66d-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Migrating Nighthawks this evening - Allegheny Co
PABirders,

Monday evening, while doing my routine Peregrine monitoring at the Tarentum Bridge (Rt 366) a large flock of migrating common nighthawks appeared drifting upriver (wrong direction - NE) while circling and obviously eating. Best guesstimate would be ~50.

They first appeared ~6:47 PM, moved upriver out of sight then after about 5 min began drifting back downriver in smaller groups, still circling and eating. Whole sighting time was about 10 min.

A first for me - seeing a large group of CONIs on fall migration.

Rob Protz
Brackenridge PA -Allegheny Co
http://pahummers.tripod.com/

Join us on Facebook!