Date: 9/11/17 4:02 pm
From: T Loefke <brackenbadger...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] <SanDiegoRegionBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] No Red-footed
I spent the morning (Sep. 11th) scanning for the for the apparently continuing Red-footed Booby at the Tijuana River mouth today with out any luck.
A thick marine layer kept most birds obscured until later in the morning and seemed to suppress most bird activity, except for the Elegant/Royal Terns.
Finally at around 10:00am I located two Brown Boobies, at least one of which was a juvenile, at least a mile out in the horizon. Unfortunately, they were not joined by the Red-footed, and they eventually disappeared as the marine layer pushed back in.
No other Sulids were seen during the several hours I was there.

No late Least Terns were seen either, and the Pacific Golden Plover is on the south side of the river mouth today.
One "Thick-billed" Sparrow was foraging at the high tide line.

--Trysten Loefke
Valley Center

Join us on Facebook!