Date: 9/11/17 3:34 pm
From: Roy Gerig <roygerig...>
Subject: [obol] Ankeny NWR, 9/11/2017
Pintail Marsh right from the parking pad is in good shape for shorebirds
now. Two PECTORAL SANDPIPERS stopped in with some WESTERNS and LEASTS
awhile after I got there this morning. Then a LESSER YELLOWLEGS stopped in
and fed with a GREATER giving some people a good chance to see the
differences.

The corn field right across the narrow two lane highway from there now
hosts a few thousand, maybe as many as 10, BARN SWALLOWS, nothing like what
Paul Sullivan describes, or Floyd Schrock did many years ago, on Grand
Island, but I think it is the same thing on a smaller scale. It is
somewhat impressive. If you go to Pintail Marsh next few days, turn around
and look at the cornfield behind you at all the BARN and a few VIOLET-GREEN
SWALLOWS.

I was going to comment on the confusing Egret thing. I don't see how
Cattle Egret got into it at all as no one would think that. The darker
bird could be Little Blue or imm Snowy and which one seems unclear from the
few photos I've seen. It seems like Cattle Egret got thrown in there by
mistake or am I just wrong on this?

Last thing: Those new electric towers along the rr tracks at Ankeny NWR,
the Salem-Albany Line, those coil things hanging around the new 115000 volt
powerline, they are put there to deflect Swans. The smaller yellow tabs
you also see on those lines are to deflect other birds than Swans. You
just learned something that you did not know

Roy Gerig Salem OR

Join us on Facebook!